If there is one thing that is consistently on my mind from the moment I drearily peel my eyes open every morning to the point where my head crashes into my memory foam pillow at night – it’s food. My partner draws an astonishing similarity between our male whippet, Billy and myself. Without a doubt he is food motivated and with my bubba growing each day, my appetite for food has not subsided in the slightest.
So what’s a girl to do when all she can think about is how to indulge herself with five square meals a day? Two words – foodie weekend. Luckily for me I was offered the opportunity to experience a sneak peek of the Urban Weekender (November 4th–5th) presented by Shop Small to experience some of the exclusive offers that local businesses have curated. Whether you want to shop, wine or dine your weekend away; there will be something for everyone. The best part of all this is that no matter how small the business is, they all accept American Express and you’ll be getting some special VIP offers too. As someone who prefers to pay and earn points with my plastic, this is music to my ears.
One of my favourite brunch spots in the east, Bondi Hardware, is offering American Express Card Members their famous Bottomless Rosé Lunch for just $65 per person with two hours’ worth of Crazy Tropez French rosé and sangria. Of course I had the non-alcoholic sangria but I can confirm my brother thoroughly enjoyed himself a glass of rosé and way too much food.
We rolled out of Bondi Hardware in search of dessert and found ourselves at Milky Lane admiring The Last Supper mural with all of hip hops greatest stars whilst wolfing down the Golden Gaytime Waffle Sticks. With all the Belgian Chocolate and gaytime crumbly goodness, is there anything else better?
The Butler was also on our hit list and whilst enjoying our Ruby Tuna Tostada and Mexcal Mai Tai (only $35), we enjoyed an uninterrupted view of the city. Of course the feasting didn’t just stop there and no feast would be complete without a table overflowing with Instagrammable food. It’s not only good to look at but tastes pretty freaking amazing.
I’ve put together a little list of places you can visit if you find yourself short on ideas of what to do and where to go below. Treat yourself and a friend on the first weekend of November and check out what your local favourite is doing for The Urban Weekender – and best of all, you’re helping support small businesses.
- The Butler (featured) – enjoy the famous Ruby Tuna Tostadas & Mezcal Mai Tai for just $35 (RRP $44).
- Darlo Country Club – indulge yourself in the most affordable banquet for dinner at just $40 per person and includes a free cocktail.
- The Soda Factory – definitely next on my list is the Fried Chicken Mac Cone which is essentially a waffle cone stuffed with 4 types of Mac n Cheese topped with Fat Bubba’s Fried Chicken Poppers. I think I’ll be clocking in a few extra hours at the gym after that.
- Dead Ringer – sadly something I won’t be able to enjoy but all the more reason for you to go experience it for me where you’ll have an Australian cheese platter for 2 with a carafe of Aussie wine for just $45 after 9pm.
- Bondi Hardware (featured) – splurge on a bottomless Rose Lunch at just $65 per person with unlimited Rose and sangria whilst pigging out on a set banquet.
- Drake Eatery – get out into the sunshine and enjoy $10 Aperol Spritzes and $2 oysters.
- Milky Lane (featured) – give yourself a heart attack with the Golden Gaytime Waffle Sticks that come covered in Belgian Chocolate goodness, gaytime crumbs and a salted caramel thickshake to wash it all down with.
If you’re not hungry yet then there’s something seriously wrong with you – or maybe you’re just not craving like this pregnant girl. Oh and before I forget, this is happening across the country in case non-Sydney siders are having serious FOMO. So if you’re an American Express Card Member, check out what Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth also have on offer!