Glowing skin, shiny hair and strong healthy nails are all elements of our outer beauty that we as women strive for perfection. In reality what we’re faced (get it?) with is bad acne, puffy eyes, dark circles and excessive hair loss.
I was recently asked to talk about how my skin journey has changed throughout my adolescence through to my now very #adultlife. When we go through our teen years we’re faced with hormonal changes as a result of puberty and we do everything in our power to have clear skin. I was very fortunate to have experienced only a mild version of this. Then I entered the golden years after surviving puberty where my skin took a turn and just magically cleared itself up with minimal help. This didn’t last long because once it dawned on me all the real world problems that I’d have to deal with (like having a child that I’m responsible for) – that’s when those frown/stress lines enter.
I had a somewhat ignorant approach to my inner and outer beauty in my late teens and early twenties – thinking that I could eat anything, sleep nominally and ditch the skincare routine. Hey if it ain’t broke, why fix it? I’ve definitely learnt a huge lesson the last three years because the days of blemish free skin are long gone. Hello congestion and dark circles.
We sometimes forget that what we see on the surface (ie. our skin) is a direct reflection of our inner processes.
Factors that Affect Our Hair & Skin
- The food we ingest and the nutrients we receive from them; foods that are high in fats, sugar, and additives will affect our health as well as our skin.
- The amount of water we drink and how hydrated we are. After all, the skin is made up of about 70% water.
- The level of stress we experience in our lives as when the body is stressed it can cause skin sensitivity.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol and smoking can accelerate the aging process (sagging skin, fine lines, uneven skin tones)
- How much exposure to the sun we get
- Our genetic disposition for example, people with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) like myself will experience hormonal imbalances which in turn affect our skin
- How much we exercise will also affect the skin as it enables the heart and lungs to pump oxygen rich blood more effectively and sweats the toxins out
- The environment we live in – pollution not only affects our health but the way our skin reacts to it
- Makeup products can often contribute to congestion and adverse reactions
So clearly there are endless factors that affect our skin – both external and internal. Now, is there a product(s) available on the market that addresses both? Well, there may not be a magical unicorn elixir that miraculously gives glowing skin and strong, shiny hair instantaneously but there is a brand that clearly believes that beauty not only starts from within but also needs to be maintained outside – ‘beauty from the inside out’.
Swisse has always been a household name known for their presence in the multivitamin and health supplements arena. As a leading global wellness brand, they know it’s just as important to support hair, skin and nail health from the inside, as it is from the outside. They cater for inner beauty with their beauty supplements such as Hair Nutrition for Women & Ultiboost Hair Skin Nails Liquid, but also look after your outer beauty with their extensive skincare range. The best part about investing into the Swisse philosophy is that incorporating it into your everyday life is easy and painless with their variety and affordability.
I’ve been trialing a simple beauty routineusing their products and love how they’ve applied their philosophy of making people healthier and happier to their skincare.
The Easy Morning Beauty Routine:
Step 1: Pour a glass of water and dilute 10mls of the Swisse Ultiboost Hair, Skin & Nail Liquid ($47.99) and slowly sip on this throughout your morning routine.
Step 2: Ensure your face is clean by using a cotton pad and applying the Swisse Micellar Makeup Remover ($10.95).
Step 3: Spritz a little Swisse Deep Sea Hydrating Mist Toner ($9.99) onto your face and décolletage.
Et voila. Done.
P.S. Swisse have been generous enough to offer my readers 40% off (yes, you read correctly!!!) for all purchases made. Use the code “HELEN18” at checkout to receive your discount.
Check out all my other beauty related posts here.
This post has been created in collaboration with Swisse but all opinions remain my own.